Veterans Day Announcements
- New Law Requests 2 Minutes of Veterans Day Silence to Honor Service and Sacrifice of Our Troops – Last month, President Obama signed a bill creating a law asking the nation to observe two minutes of silence on Veterans Day in honor of the service and sacrifice of veterans throughout U.S. history. For us in eastern standard time, these two minutes of silence fall at 2:11PM. Happy reflecting!
- Warfighters Docu-Series Premieres on Veterans Day – The Warfighters is an original HISTORY Channel docu-series, driven by first-person accounts of recent U.S. Special Operations Forces missions in the global war on terror. The four-part series premieres on Veterans Day, 11/11/16 at 8PM. With over 90 veterans participating in production, the series gives viewers a candid look at the realities of war. Read more about the series on the History Channel website.
11/10/16 CMVE Lunch & Learn Webinar – Understanding the Needs of Veterans in the Classroom
Please spread the word and plan to join us yourselves, too, to hear Dichondra Johnson, Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, share her insights on Understanding the Needs of Veterans in the Classroom and Academic Environments in a webinar program at 12pm on Thurs., 11/10/16. Interested parties can click here to register.
Several CMVE Institutions are “Best for Vets”
Congratulations to Saginaw Valley State University, Northwestern Michigan College, Central Michigan University, and Western Michigan University for their recognition in 2017’s Military Times “Best for Vets Colleges.”
VA Call Center Improves Dropped Call Rates in 2016
VA has been working to reduce their dropped call rate this year. Starting with a 59% drop-rate in January 2016, the rate diminished to 1% in September! VA is pleased with this progress but indicates they’re aspiring to 0%.
MI-litary Equivalency Project Updates
- 19 campuses have demonstrated their commitment to this project by completing the landscape assessment survey and designating their liaison to the project. While all interested parties are still welcome to join upcoming project events, designating a campus liaison will make communication about project activities easier to manage. If you’re not sure whether your campus has done this, please let me know and I can follow up with you directly.
- Next virtual events:
- 11.9.16 @ 3-4PM, Building Campus Strategy for the MI-litary Equivalency Project. I’ve heard from many campuses that they are still unsure what the project will entail. This webinar will review suggested action steps for campuses to take, ranging from low to high investment, and offer suggestions for how campuses can craft their individual strategies to award more direct transfer credit for military experience as appropriate to their campus. In addition to an overview of recommended strategies, Dr. DeeDee Stakely will share how Ferris State University developed their veterans portfolio proposal to offer veterans a range of credit toward particular general education competencies when aligned with the service members military experiences and demonstrated through the portfolio process. Click hereto register.
- 11.29.16 @1:30-3PM, Talking PLA and Transferability, presented by the Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL). Many campuses that have worked toward better PLA policies to support completion initiatives, particularly for adult learners, have noted that not being able to transfer these credits can be a barrier to these students continuing educational success. In this webinar, CAEL will explore PLA options and their efficacy in supporting adult completion strategies, including strategies aimed at military-connected students, and approaches from around the nation to ensure transferability of credits earned through PLA options. Click here to register.
Keeping up with MHEC’s Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit (MCMC)
- If you missed the MCMC webinar last week on Supporting Hoosier Veterans: A look at military credit in Indiana, you can review the slides or the webcast. There were some great examples offered on how several Indiana institutions evaluate JST and award direct credit from ACE recommendations.
- MCMC featured in Diverse Issues in Higher Education – Click here to read the article!