Toward Recognizing Military Experience as Academic Credit
Michigan is one of 13 states actively participating in the Midwestern Higher Education Compact’s Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit. Along with funding support from MCMC and its 2015-2018 Kresge Foundation grant award, the CMVE is launching the MI-litary Equivalency Project to support institutions in developing direct transfer equivalencies for military experience. The project will support colleges and universities who seek to:
- Utilize information available on the Joint Services Transcript (JST) to more directly map American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations to their catalogs and develop direct transfer equivalencies.
- Articulate military experience to general education requirements and build equivalencies for Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs).
- Showcase developed equivalencies in transfer equivalency databases.
Previous Events – Catch up on what you may have missed!
- 10.11.16 @10:30AM-12PM, MI-litary Equivalency Project Kickoff. Click here to view the slideshow from this webinar. Click here to review the event’s recording.
- 11.9.16 @ 3-4PM, Building Campus Strategy for the MI-litary Equivalency Project. Click here to view the slideshow from this webinar. Click here to review the event’s recording.
- 11.29.16 @1:30-3PM, Talking PLA and Transferability, presented by the Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL). Click here to access the slide deck from this presentation. Click here to review the event’s recording.
- 1.26.17 @ 1PM, The ACE Review Process- Insights from MI Faculty. Click here to access the event recording (please note: You may be given the option to select “Playback” or “Download.” Playback will allow you to stream the recording, while download will allow you to download the recording. If selecting the “playback” option, you must allow Cisco WebEx access to your computer. If selecting the “download” option, you must download the WebEx ARF player as prompted.) Click here to review the slideshow from this webinar. See the Faculty Reviewer Informational Flyer to learn more about becoming an ACE faculty reviewer. Click here to review details from the Q and A session at the end of the session. Contact Dr. Patricia Brewer, ACE Regional Liaison, for additional information.
- 4.21.17 @ 10-11AM – Exploring Campus Workflows Around Awarding Direct Credit for JST, featuring Community College of Baltimore County and the University of West Georgia. Click here to review the slideshow for this webinar. Click here to review the event recording and see links below for documents shared by presenters from:
- Community College of Baltimore County:
- University of West Georgia
- 5.25.17 @ 10-10:30AM – A Closer Look at DSST Exams. The slide deck from this webinar can be downloaded here. The recording of this webinar can be accessed here.
- 6.2.17 @ Jackson College – MI-litary Equivalency Project Campus Planning Seminar, featuring Dr. Patricia Brewer, Midwest Regional Liaison, Center for Education Attainment and Innovation, American Council on Education. Click here to access the slide deck used during this program. Click the links below to access the handouts from the Seminar:
- 9.26.17 Pre-Conference Program: Military Credit Mapping Summit. Click here to review the agenda for this program.
- This slide deck incorporates the following presentations: Setting the Stage – Where we’ve been, where we’re going, Katie Giardello, Director of Veteran & Transfer Initiatives, MCSS; Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit (MCMC) Overview, Sara Appel, MCMC Project Coordinator, Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC)
- This slide deck incorporates the following presentations: American Council on Education (ACE) Translation Exercise; ACE Deep Dive – Faculty Review, JST credit, Exploration of ACE Tools (Breakout session), Dr. Patricia Brewer, Midwest Regional Liaison, Center for Education Attainment & Innovation, American Council on Education; Dr. Lisa Ferris-McCann, Associate Director, Military Programs, American Council on Education
- Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) Overview (Breakout session), Barry Moore, Director, Strategic Planning & Partnerships, METC, Defense Health Agency, Military Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Defense
- Digital Resource Packet: Click here to access all handouts used and the digital resource packet available to attendees. Recommended to use ACE’s “Mapping ACE Military Credit Recom” and explore MN’s blank ACE credit worksheets (MCMC_MasterCopyVETSWorkbook) for on-campus credit mapping exercises.
On-Demand Resources Recommended for Additional UnderstandingAccess these useful archived webinars by clicking the links below:
- Prior Learning Assessment: An Overview of Relevant Criteria and Assumed Practices (Higher Learning Commission)
- See other Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit archived webinar programs here
- Academic Credit for Military Experience: A Closer Look at the Issues and Strategies for Increasing Capacity on Your Campus – video, slides (Katie Giardello, MCSS)
- Using the Joint Services Transcript (JST) and the Military Guide(ACE)
- ACE MOS Review(ACE)
- ACE Tools and Resources(ACE)
- Mapping Military Training and Occupations to Postsecondary Credentials(ACE)
Selected Publications Relative to this Topic:
Veterans continue to battle for their military training to count as college credit – The Hechinger Report, December, 2016.
A Resource Guide on Translating Military Competencies into Academic Credit – Consortium of Michigan Veterans Educators, December 2016
Bill to bridge gap between military and civilian training introduced by Congressman Denny Heck (D-WA-10th) – Press Release, September 2016
Operation Certification – How to Help Vets Succeed in the New Economy – ThirdWay, September 2016
Is it time to rethink the term nontraditional student? – eCampus News, September 30, 2016
Why PLA is Significant to Improving Graduation Rates – Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), August 2016
Valuing Military Learning: A Guide to Military Prior Learning Assessment and More – Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit & Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), July 2016
The Adult Learner: A Critical Ally for State Economic Development – The Council of State Governments, July 2016
Advancing Veteran Success in Higher Education: Case Highlights of Vocational Accelerator Programs at Del Mar College, Tarrant County College, and Wake Technical Community College – Syracuse University Institute for Veterans and Military Families, May 2016
Streamlining Veterans’ Path to College and Careers – USA Funds, May 2016
Occupational Outlook Handbook, Military Careers – U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, December 2015
Missing Perspectives: Servicemembers’ Transition from Service to Civilian Life – Syracuse University Institute for Veterans and Military Families, November 2015
State Policy Approaches to Supporting Prior Learning Assessment – Compiled by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), 2015
Issues Regarding Academic Credit for Veterans and Military Service Members: Doing What is Best for Students – Academic Senate for California Community Colleges, December 2012
Fueling the Race to Postsecondary Success: A 48-Institution Study of Prior Learning Assessment and Adult Student Outcomes – Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), 2010